"qcow2" vs "raw" - KVM Disk Format

nick

Mar 28, 2007
what is the best format - stable and secure.

What we use for Windows? What we use for Linux?

Reactions: mjw
why? must be an explination...

Until now I use a lot qcow2...I need to change format? It's much better raw format?

why? must be an explination...
Until now I use a lot qcow2...I need to change format? It's much better raw format?

'qcow2' is quite stable, but it is a complex format so there is an additional software layer involved (which may have some errors).

'raw' is no format at all (direct pass through to the file), so there is no additional software between.

- Dietmar

for backup with "snapshot" option what is the best format?

I use VZDUMP with option spanshot...

vzdump can handle both formats. But 'raw' format can be restored to any storage type (lvm, iscsi), where qcow2 can only be restored to a filesystem type storage (nfs, directory).

Reactions: mjw
I use only PVE...so for me it's teh same filesystem. Like I already specify, until now I use qcow2 for KVM machines...and snapshot work correct, except SBS2008.

I realy want to understand what is the good way for windows (or recomanded) and what is the configuration recomanded for Linux.

what is the best format - stable and secure.

What we use for Windows? What we use for Linux?

Its a down back in this raw: waste space. When create multiples guests with qcow2 you can provisioning max disk size (but without use it) so you can have many guests and in future, with grow, you can realocate then or add a bigger disk... now with raw or you make guests with tiny disks or wast your storage for long time.

Dietemar,

Its any tecnical problem in use qcow2 in sahre storage like lvm/drbd ? Its possible in future proxmox suport it ?

A raw filesystem can be mounted in other emulators (ie: virtualbox), or other proxmox servers?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!