Safely installing PVE on existing production server without breaking anything?

drumo46

Nov 30, 2015
Hi Proxmoxers :)

I've got a production Debian server running a few KVM VM's that I manage manually.
I want to install Proxmox on my server without risking breaking anything, and without causing unexpected, unplanned, excessive downtime.

I have an idea of how to make the transition easily and safely. Please let me know if you see any problems with my idea.

My configuration is as follows
2 Hard drives in a software mirror RAID configuration.
I know Proxmox won't help me manage/monitor my software RAID; that's fine with me.

/dev/sd[ab]1 are mounted as /dev/md0 /boot (GRUB)
/dev/sd[ab]2 are mounted as /dev/md1 LVM PV

I'm currently booting /dev/mapper/myoriginaldebianroot which is an LVM LV.

I've got plenty of free space on my PV, so I'd like to make a new PV, call it proxmoxtest. Then install Debian 8 on it via debootstrap.

Preparation (while still in production)
1. Backup /boot and other essential files/VM's to a physically separate machine in-case of disaster
2. Create new LV for Deb8 Proxmox /dev/mapper/proxmoxtest, format as EXT4 or XFS
3. Install Deb8 with debootstrap on /dev/mapper/proxmoxtest
4. Create new LV for testing KVM's in PVE /dev/mapper/proxmoxvms Then copy my production VM's into it for testing. [Optional?]

During short scheduled downtime (a few hours)
1. Change GRUB to tell the kernel (3.16) to boot from /dev/mapper/proxmoxtest.
2. Boot new Deb8 and run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade.
3. Install Proxmox.
4. Add /dev/mapper/proxmoxvms as a storage pool.
5. Try get production VM's running.
If all goes amazingly well, I can get it all done in a single session.

If I have problems and I can't get it running in one session, I want to change my grub to boot from /dev/mapper/myoriginaldebianroot again. (I will restore my backup of /boot (including the kernel and grub cfg etc as necessary)

Big important questions
Will proxmox corrupt/damage my software raid?
Will proxmox delete or destroy my LVM PV or any of my LVM LV's?
Will proxmox modify or interfere with /dev/mapper/myoriginaldebianroot in any way?
Are there any risks I've not considered?
Do you have any suggestions for completing the transition smoothly?

* Note
I'm aware that PVE will install it's own kernel. If I complete the change over multiple sessions, I'll have two backups for /boot. One for my original system, and one for PVE.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!