3rd party Ceph dashboard connection being refused on Proxmox 4

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
I have been using Ceph Dashboard (https://github.com/Crapworks/ceph-dash) with Proxmox 3.2 for quite some time without any issue. After clean upgrading to Proxmox 4 i can no longer access the dashboard on port 5000. The gui is usually accessed on Http://proxmox:5000. I also tried to install Karken dashboard and this also seem to have connect refusal issue on any port. I tried to open the port with iptables and also opening ports on the node pve-firewall but no luck. Anything changed in proxmox 4 that causes all connection to refuse except on port 8006 and 22?

I have been using Ceph Dashboard (https://github.com/Crapworks/ceph-dash) with Proxmox 3.2 for quite some time without any issue. After clean upgrading to Proxmox 4 i can no longer access the dashboard on port 5000. The gui is usually accessed on Http://proxmox:5000. I also tried to install Karken dashboard and this also seem to have connect refusal issue on any port. I tried to open the port with iptables and also opening ports on the node pve-firewall but no luck. Anything changed in proxmox 4 that causes all connection to refuse except on port 8006 and 22?

Hi, the port 5000 is used by ceph-rest-api, it's not a daemon used by ceph by default, you need to launch it manually.

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/v0.94/man/8/ceph-rest-api/

[SOLVED] Re: 3rd party Ceph dashboard connection being refused on Proxmox 4

Thanks Spirit!
The Ceph Dashboard from Crapworks has port 5000 hard coded. That is probably why i cannot access that dashboard. I contacted the developer if he can make the port configurable.
I installed Ceph Calamari instead. Not bad at all for a dashboard. Gives some management option and detailed graphs. But it does seem to add some computational overhead on each ceph node. Not much though.

Ceph Calamari did not work out very well for me. Every few hours Calamari server kept getting disconnected and Calamari Minions kept crashing. Tried 2 clean installs but same result.
I went back to Ceph Dashboard from Crapworks. Got response from the developer. By default the Ceph Dashboard binds to 127.0.0.1 only. I had to make the following change to ceph-dash.py to tell it to bind to the node IP:

Previously:
app.run (debug=True)

Changes:
app.run(host='10.0.0.9',debug=True)

After this changes the dashboard started right up. I liked the robustness of Calamari but really like the simplicity of Ceph Dashboard minus management. And it just works perfectly for simply visual monitoring.

Ceph Calamari did not work out very well for me. Every few hours Calamari server kept getting disconnected and Calamari Minions kept crashing. Tried 2 clean installs but same result.
I went back to Ceph Dashboard from Crapworks. Got response from the developer. By default the Ceph Dashboard binds to 127.0.0.1 only. I had to make the following change to ceph-dash.py to tell it to bind to the node IP:

Previously:
app.run (debug=True)

Changes:
app.run(host='10.0.0.9',debug=True)

After this changes the dashboard started right up. I liked the robustness of Calamari but really like the simplicity of Ceph Dashboard minus management. And it just works perfectly for simply visual monitoring.
Hi Wasim,
you can also run cephdash with an apache in front of on a dedicate admin machine:
Code:
cat /etc/apache2/sites-available/cephdash
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName ceph.domain.com
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/server-status
    RewriteRule ^/?(.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R,L]
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName ceph.domain.com
    CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/ceph-dash.log combined
    #DocumentRoot /opt/ceph-dash
    WSGIDaemonProcess cephdash user=www-data group=www-data processes=1 threads=5
    WSGIScriptAlias / /opt/ceph-dash/contrib/wsgi/cephdash.wsgi
    WSGIPassAuthorization On

SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile    /etc/ssl/certs/admin.crt
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/admin.key

<Directory /opt/ceph-dash>
        WSGIProcessGroup cephdash
        WSGIApplicationGroup %{GLOBAL}
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all                                                                                                                                                                                   
    </Directory>                                                                                                                                                                                         
</VirtualHost>
Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!