Qemu without KVM

Peter712

Oct 25, 2009
The background:
my current media server (AMD 1.05ghz, 512M ram.) and never hits 50% of CPU/RAM with the media server running so I don't think it will have any problems once on the new server. but I am running Qemu so that I can run/learn linux. currently running one full time and 2-3 others on an off. problem is windows isn't made to run VM's and hits 90% cpu when Qemu is running 2 VM's that are idle.

The plan:
my new home "server" is a 2 x AMD 2.2GHz Opteron(tm) Processor 248 with 4GB of ram, with a fresh install of proxmox 1.4/4340
I want to move my current windows media server or install a new one with dedicated hard drives and NIC so that I can have native speeds and file systems for the 1.25TB+ of media that I currently have on a 1.5TB drive and don't want to copy it into a container

The Problem:
Attention: This CPU does not support KVM virtual machines (no Intel VT / AMD-V support).

what I think could be the solution:
KVM is an extension of Qemu. what if I could just use Qemu without the KVM extension and just fully emulate it. can this be done?
what will it take to do this? Yes I know that it won't be able to update and that if anything goes wrong I'm on my own. but can it be done?

I am still kinda new to linux. but am willing to try anything!!!!

all thoughts welcome!!!!!!!

Please help me!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Although I would love to agree with you but the AMD Opteron 248 chips dont have the AMD-V on them... what I have is a
Opteron 200-series "Troy"

the first AMD-V that came out was the
Opteron 1200-series "Santa Ana" (F2 & F3, 90 nm)

info from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Opteron_microprocessors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD-V#AMD_virtualization_.28AMD-V.29

believe me if I had known that I needed/wanted Intel VT / AMD-V to make this work I would have looked for something that had it. but this is what I have now so I needed to figure out what to do now.

so I hope that my question still is a valid one. I don't mind working hard on this project and I feel that this could be a nice segway for older 64bit systems that don't have AMD-V but I haven't been able to figure out how Qemu and KVM work or understand how they work with the kernel.

You can use the command line tools to create a VM (see 'man qm'). I guess that works even if you have no AMD-V.

Ok so if I create one via the command line... will I be able to manage it in proxmox?

Should work, yes. But you need to test yourself (we do not use such kind of setup).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!