ProxmoxVE - Upload more than 2 Gb on LVM Storage

manusamir

Jul 9, 2015
Hi,
I've got problem to load any image on the storage more than 2 Gb. With Filezilla I can upload more than 2 gb iso but also in /var/lib/vz ...
The configuration of my proxmoxve is this:
3 nodes clustered with iscsi to access 2 LUN on 2 Synology Storage where are stored the VMs.
I've got two LUN (lun3 and lun4) and I can select the storage when I Create a VM.

All is OK about configuration but the problem is if I have to upload a raw image (a virtual disk already ok) of a VM in the LVM and link that to new created VM. I see that:
/dev/lun4# ls
vm-108-disk-1 vm-203-disk-1
But these are only link to /dev/dm-n (n=0 to 8)
And about upload limit I haven't any apache installed on the cluster so it doesn't exist any max_upload_file string to edit.
I see the manual but is not my real case...

The question is:
If the upload limit on web interface is 2Gb, how can upload with filezilla or other software, vmdk or vdi converted to raw images to the right Sinology LUN and link it like hard disk of a VM?
Thanks very much...Emanuele

Hi,
I've got problem to load any image on the storage more than 2 Gb. With Filezilla I can upload more than 2 gb iso but also in /var/lib/vz ...
The configuration of my proxmoxve is this:
3 nodes clustered with iscsi to access 2 LUN on 2 Synology Storage where are stored the VMs.
I've got two LUN (lun3 and lun4) and I can select the storage when I Create a VM.

All is OK about configuration but the problem is if I have to upload a raw image (a virtual disk already ok) of a VM in the LVM and link that to new created VM. I see that:
/dev/lun4# ls
vm-108-disk-1 vm-203-disk-1
But these are only link to /dev/dm-n (n=0 to 8)
And about upload limit I haven't any apache installed on the cluster so it doesn't exist any max_upload_file string to edit.
I see the manual but is not my real case...

The question is:
If the upload limit on web interface is 2Gb, how can upload with filezilla or other software, vmdk or vdi converted to raw images to the right Sinology LUN and link it like hard disk of a VM?
Thanks very much...Emanuele
Hi,
perhaps I understand the issue not right... if you use lvm storage, the VM-hdd is an logical device: a block device like an partition. So you don't have an filesystem on the host, where you can put an image on.

But you can copy the image to the host - like to /var/lib/vz/hdd_image.raw and copy after that the content to the lvm-storage like
Code:
dd if=/var/lib/vz/hdd_image.raw of=/dev/lvmvg/vm-999-disk-1 bs=1M
the LV must fit in size...
usefull commands are
Code:
pvs
vgs
lvs
if the lv isn't active, you must activate the lv first "lvchange -a y /dev/lvmvg/vm-999-disk-1".

Udo

Ok I copied the disk to the partition but when I start the VM it tells me that there's not any hard disk...(I fit the size to 8GB in the dd command that is the size of the vm). I used an ubuntu vmdk converted to img of 8 gb in a space of 10 GB create when I create the VM.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!