Enlarge Ubuntu VM

racs

Oct 14, 2015
I am running Proxmox Version 3.4-6/102d4547

I am trying to enlarge a hard disk on a VM that is running Unbuntu.
Currently 32GB format=raw.

I have enlarged the Hard Disk via Proxmox using the Resize disk option on the Hardware tab. I know that I need to go in and make some changes to the vm itself but am at a loss as how to do it. I have consulted the proxmox website on resizing vm disk but do not know enough linux (terminal) or proxmox to get the job done. I have successfully enlarged a Hard disk on a VM running Windows 7 but am at a loss accomplishing this with a VM running linux.

Detailed (step by step) directions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Bill

forget the fact that it is a VM, first of all. that part is irrelevant.

this has nothing to do with proxmox.

easiest way? boot the VM up in a gparted live distro, or just an ubuntu live distro and use gparted.
expand the partition using gparted.
reboot.

There are other ways of doing it on a linux box, but using a GUI is probably your best bet, since it would appear that you do not understand linux .

Hi Pirateghost,

Thank you for your reply. I tried that without success. I left you a message on your profile with a picture, since I am new here and can't post links yet.

Thank you,
Bill

Did you try booting a LIVE distro (gparted or ubuntu) or are you attempting to use gparted on your installed Ubuntu system? You must be in a live environment, so that the disk is not mounted when you make these changes.

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you have LVM which will probably require you to do some configuration in the command line for LVM

Hi racs
As pirateghost said, gparted will unfortunately not help here, as it does not work with logical volumes.

I advise you to make a backup of your VM ( backup tab of the VM) and have a look at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resize_disks

The steps mentionned there should allow you do an online resizing of the VM.

Thank you pirateghost and manu for your help on this.

I created a backup of the vm. That is what I love about Proxmox and the virtual environment...

I did consult the page you reference, manu, but didn't fully understand the directions, at first. After much research I have made sense of it and am going to try it..

I will keep you posted...

Hi Racs
Happy it did work for you.
There is a small caveat to the instructions posted on the link you mentionned ( although very high quality documentation)

If you allocate the new disk space to a new primary partition as recommend by the author of the post, you can only do this up to two times, since a MBR partitioned hard drive can only host 4 primary partitions. So the next time you want to enlarge the disk you cannot create a new primary partition.

This is why I recommend to enlarge an existing partition instead of creating a new one, it works in every case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!