expand vmware virtual disk

mariagonzalez

May 21, 2005
hello,
i am using the vmware appliance and i noticed that the hard disk is nearly full. how can I expand the virtual disk?
thanks,
maria

hello,
i am using the vmware appliance and i noticed that the hard disk is nearly full. how can I expand the virtual disk?
thanks,
maria

hi maria,

yes, thats no problem. vmware server or workstation delivers a commandline tool to do this. for these steps I assume you run vmware server on windows, but the process is the same for all versions.

1. Power down your Proxmox and make a copy from the virtual disk or better, from the complete folder where your vmware files are located (in case of any failure, you have a full backup)

2. Expand the disk with "vmware-vdiskmanager", for example to 20 GB:
> vmware-vdiskmanager -x 20gb "d:/full path/diskname.vmdk"

3. Now, the disk is 20 gb: Next is resize the Proxmox partition.

4. Use a partition tool, personally i like acronis disk director, but there are other also. Boot your Vmware with the acronis boot disk and resize the ext3 partition to maximum size.

5. Reboot into your Proxmox and check if everything is running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!