constant nfs exports requests

vkhera

Feb 24, 2015
Maryland, USA
On my NFS filer (FreeNAS) which is used by proxmox for backups and holding ISOs, I see this in the logs every 10 seconds per PVE host:

Code:
Oct 12 17:28:28 filer filer mountd[2262]: export request succeeded from 192.168.7.16
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Is there some reason for so many export requests from PVE? This goes on all day long. It is mostly harmless, other than cluttering up the logs for finding real problems.

pve-manager/4.0-48/0d8559d0 (running kernel: 4.2.2-1-pve)

Without going into details, I suspect this is because of the pvestatd: we have to poll regularly that the NFS server is alive, what is it's current space capacitiy so we can report it in the GUI.

I see... looks like you are using this data mostly to populate the RRD graph of available space.

Is it really necessary to poll that frequently given that the RRD graphs are not at such high detailed resolution? It just seems overly chatty on an already busy network.

"Can you find out what happened at about 6:20pm tonight?"

Literally two hundred and forty export requests between 6:20 and 6:30. Dang.

Ran into the same problem today - hard to find the real problems if the logs are spammed

Hi
Every 10s seconds, we check the status of the NFS server with 'showmount' and then gather statistics about disk usage *if* 'showmount' successfull.
We need to report early if a NFS server is down, hence the regular check.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!