multiple clusters on a network. [ solved ]

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
We are having an issue with two clusters on the same network - both clusters were down. One is a version 4 test cluster.

Is it best to have just one cluster on a network?

If so is using different vlans enough for the separation ?

Solved - our issue was caused by too much network traffic , Solution was to move the traffic to a different nic .

Last edited:
Re: multiple clusters on a network.

No, that is not required. But maybe it is a problem with your network infrastructure (switches).

It could be switch setting. These Netgear GSM7352S switches are complex. And support is impossible to find... Still they've been working OK for years.. I did add a vlan and am rechecking the settings.

I reset the switch and the clusters connected, after 20 minutes they cluster just broke . Next I'll restore network backup from before yesterdays changes..

restoring switch backup did not fix the issue for long. the cluster came back up then went down. I'll look for other network changes. Could be a bad switch.

Multicast tests work OK .

We are having an issue with two clusters on the same network - both clusters were down. One is a version 4 test cluster.

Is it best to have just one cluster on a network?

If so is using different vlans enough for the separation ?

It uses different multicast groups based on the cluster name. If you tried creating different clusters with the same name, you'd have a problem. Otherwise it should be fine as long as multicast is allowed on your switches.

It uses different multicast groups based on the cluster name. If you tried creating different clusters with the same name, you'd have a problem. Otherwise it should be fine as long as multicast is allowed on your switches.

thank you the information.

No, that is not required. But maybe it is a problem with your network infrastructure (switches).

Dietmar - thank you for the hint. recently some high network traffic video system clients had been added . the solution was to use a different nic for the video servers .

thank you .

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!