enable remote desktop access for VM

endimion

Jul 8, 2015
Hello,
I want to allow remote desktop access to one of my VMs (running windows + all the configuration for remote desktop). In proxmox I setup firewall rules at cluster level from the PVE interface using the predefined macro RDP (with both in and out directions). Same at node level. At VM level I did not setup a firewall. All rules and firewall are enabled.
I tried to connect using windows remote desktop to this VM, but it is not working.

1. Is there something else I should configure inside proxmox to make this work? I already have a rule on the vmbr2 bridge to forward traffic to VMs:
auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '192.168.0.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '192.168.0.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE

2. Are the firewall rules I setup from PVE persistent, if it is to reboot the server?

Hi,

you should only apply this rule on VM level.

to your second Question: Yes they are persistent.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. It is still not clear how these levels work (if you know where I can find more info, please tell me). At datacenter level I have a firewall set, with default policy to drop, so I thought I have to open access for each protocol/port. Then, following your advice, I set the RDP in/out in the VM firewall (from the PVE interface). I test the remote desktop from inside another windows VM in the same local network, and it works fine.
But what I need is to make it work from outside. All my VMs hold local IPs, and only the server hosting my VMs has a public IP. I declared the name of my windows VM to a DNS provider so that it is visible from outside. If I want to reach my VM, I use the public name which points to the public IP of my server (see picture below). It still doesn't work. Do I have to set iptables manually?
network.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!