OpenVZ containers to LXC

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
May be this question already has been answered. What will happen to the existing OpenVZ containers when upgraded to Proxmox VE 4? Will they simply stop working or will need to be converted to LXC? Or will LXC and OpenVZ will co exist in Proxmox VE 4 and up?

Since the kernel in pve-4.0 does not support openvz you will not be able to make s smooth migration path without downtime. You will need to make a backup from pve-3.x and then do a restore from the backup to pve-4.0. A detailed upgrade plan with due notice to customers will be required.

Actually a container is just a tarball of a root filesystem

I already did some container migration from openvz to lxc and what I can say is that it just works.

Procedure is quite easy:
* you backup the LXC container on your pve 3.4 host
* you restore the backup on the pve 4.0 host
* you add the network config

I am working on a wiki article on that.

All data inside the container is safe, most of the configuration is migrated. Note that that to add the network config you can do this on the host, it has been expanded to be able to do more things out of band.
I also migrated a Turnkey Linux appliance and it works.

Thanks mir and manu! Good to know real use case with 100% success rate. I also have some Turnkey containers. Great to see they can be migrated safely too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!