Feeling useless right now. Can you help?

whitey

Aug 30, 2015
Hi there,

I'm very confused with Proxmox.

Let me explain: I just bought a book about network security, where I'm meant to set up proxmox as a virtual pentest lab. Well, I installed proxmox but when I'm supposed to finish the install (i.e. go to the ip address on port 8006 through my web browser), I'm lost.

I'm running proxmox on a machine, let's call it PC2, and I'm writing this post from my main machine, let's call it PC1, which is running on windows. So, when I launch PC1's browser to ipaddress:8006 (didn't forget to type httpS), nothing worked. Duh, I was using wireless internet, so I plugged a RJ45 cable from PC1 to PC2, and still no luck.

I KNOW I'm probably doing something wrong. The book (and the wiki) just say "next step, point your browser to ipaddress:8006 and log in to the web interface for the first configuration". I'd love to, man, I just don't know how to do it. It's obviously not from PC2, but I don't know how to link PC1 to PC2 and make it work.

I feel useless right now, I thought I could handle installing it but it's getting obvious that I can't. And I guess this is one simple thing compared to the rest of the book... So yeah, guys, I might need a little help.

Please?

On the console screen of PC2, what is the *exact* url it gives you to manage itself? Is it connected to your LAN?

Also, just plugging an ethernet between two machines doesn't get you much without configuring the network interfaces on both ends.

I figured this wouldn't be enough, yet nothing's explained either on the book nor the wiki...
The exact address is
Code:
https: slash slash 196.168 .100.2 : 8006
(using spaces to prevent the forum telling me I'm not allowed to post links yet)
No idea if it's connected to my LAN, I'm not used to LAN configuration, I'm looking into that right now.
Thanks for the quick reply though. Any pointers?

I'd say you're likely looking at a networking issues.
Can you ping that IP from PC1? ( I would hazard that you can't and that would be the issue. )

If you can't Ping it, can you describe how the network is set up? What switch are you using? What's the IP of both PC1 and PC2?

Ok. I think I know...

Is it possible to connect my PC2 to my ISP router through ethernet, and then access it through wifi from PC1?
(With router configuration, static IP address to PC2 matching the one i gave above, for exemple)
PC2 isn't configured at all, the proxmox install is fresh, I just rebooted it from the initial install.

Ok. I think I know...

Is it possible to connect my PC2 to my ISP router through ethernet, and then access it through wifi from PC1?
(With router configuration, static IP address to PC2 matching the one i gave above, for exemple)
PC2 isn't configured at all, the proxmox install is fresh, I just rebooted it from the initial install.

The short answer is yes.

They need to be on the Same network.
If possible plugging them both with Ethernet cable to the router is best - assuming the router has also a small switch has more than one Ethernet plug.

If it does not, having the other PC through wireless should be fine.
You need to make sure each device has a different and unique IP address - and see if one can ping the other.

Ok, so it's not as simple as that.
My ISP router doesn't seem to recognize my PC2. LAN port is showing something is connected, yet the device doesn't appear in the connected devices tab.

I connected as root and ran ifconfig, my eth0 is up and running (no loss), and vmbr0 is also up and running, with IP address as stated before. Yet, when I try to ping each machine, timeout, no response. I don't know what to do, nor how to do it. I figured maybe the eth0 wasn't up, so maybe that was the problem, but it seems that even when PC2 is physically connected, my router doesn't accept it.

Should I maybe try to create a MAC address rule on my router for this PC2? I'm not sure it would change anything...

No idea if it's connected to my LAN, I'm not used to LAN configuration, I'm looking into that right now.
Thanks for the quick reply though. Any pointers?

So did you just make up that IP address when you installed proxmox? To what did you connect the network interface on PC2 during install?

That's it.

Oh I feel so stupid. When I installed Proxmox a few days ago, I couldn't find my RJ45 cable and decided to go through with it and configure it later. I just did a fresh install and everything works now like a charm.

First cause of computers not working: human stupidity.

Thanks for making me realise my mistake, now I can enjoy Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!