Just installed Proxmox - how do I configure my harddrives and file sharing

Arry74

Aug 25, 2015
Hi

Just installed Proxmox onto my new home server as the host OS.

I have used Linux before but not for about 15 years so I am basically a complete novice in all honesty.

I have read through the tutorials and watched a few videos however I cannot find what I am looking for.

A few questions:

1. How can I make Proxmox see the hardisks in the server. When I installed Proxmox it saw them but now I cannot figure that out.

2. I want to enable it so that my normal desktop PC, ie the one I am using now can see the shares I create in Proxmox so that I can use one of the drives for storage etc.

Cheers

Do you want a virtual server host or a file server? Proxmox VE is not really a file server. Perhaps you would want to install something like FreeNAS as a virtual machine to provide that service.

Hi mate and thanks for replying. I want both :)

From what I have been told I think I should be able to install Samba to the host and then use my second hardisk as storage.

If it is possible that is?

Cheers, and thanks again

It should be possible, given proxmox is mostly just a linux distro. However, I personally treat it as an appliance, and avoid muddying it with stuff other than what it came with. To accomplish what you're looking for, I'd do it one of two ways depending on which is more important to you: the file share or the virtual machines.

If VM is more important, then I'd make a VM inside proxmox and run FreeNAS on it to share off the virtual disks.
If file server is more important, I'd run FreeNAS native, and use the virtualbox plugins to run VMs.

hi Arry.

I am currently building out exactly the same setup :)

you can go 2 ways about it. since I am currently trying out both here they are:

#1. as suggested before, create a VM with FreeNas or OMV and share the drives from there.
they don't have to be even virtual drives as on proper hardware you can pass through any drives from host to VM except system drive. I have tried it and it looks promising.
this way you get the speed and accessibility. most relatively current host hardware will support this.

#2. install NFS server on the host and NFS export the drives as needed.

-- #2 is very good for native speed for data transfer but a bit of a headache on management permission and such. I have tried it and thinking of coming back to #1 when I can.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!