OpenVZ & KVM VPS creation

sirfpsycho

Aug 23, 2015
Sir in proxmox can I create KVM and OpenVZ vps both? Means one or two vps will be on KVM and another one or two VPS on openVZ. Is it possible on proxmox? In xenserver it is possible but I do not know about proxmox.

Yes, you can create as many Containers (OpenVZ) and KVM/qemu virtual machines at the same time, only limited by the hardware resources your host has (CPU/memory/network/etc.)
The "Create VM" button in the web interface is for KVM/qemu machines and the "Create CT" one is for Container machines (OpenVZ).

Hello, I have installed Proxmox on my dedicated server. Can you please help me? As I did not use proxmox ever so I want help.
1. How can I add IP and then How can I create VPS?
2. How to add Centos 6.6 x86_64_minimal template so that I can Install Cpanel on the vps.
Thank you for help. :)

Hi,
our wiki has some howtos, a look at the following page may give you a basic introduction how to deploy VMs/Containers.
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation#Create_Virtual_Machines
Your second question should be covered with that guide.

If you create a container the create dialog from the "Create CT" Button let you set a static IP address for your Container.
For KVM/VMs you could use the VMs network configuration methods, as on an normal linux system.
If you select your node (the physical host) you can configure the network (bridges, bonds, etc.) available for your VMs/CTs.
See also http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

Sir your given url is not telling me how can I add CentOS 6 x86_64 minimum for KVM VPS.
While In proxmox CentOS 6 standard is available for openVZ VPS and I have added. But In kvm there is no option of such type of CentOS. There is some Linux Kernel. But CentOS is not available. Can you please tell me how can I add CentOS template? For openVZ, it is too easy. One click and OS added in OpenVZ. :)

For KVM/qemu Virtual machines you provide an ISO file, like you would when you install CentOS on real hardware.

It does, albeit it leaves on option out in the "Directly to Filesystem" section. To quote from the link:
Upload from your desktop

If you already got Virtually Appliances you can upload them via the upload button. To install a virtual machine from an ISO image (using KVM full virtualization) just upload the ISO file via the upload button.
Directly to file system

Templates and ISO images are stored on the Proxmox VE server (see /var/lib/vz/template/cache for openvz templates and /var/lib/vz/template/iso for ISO images). You can also transfer templates and ISO images via secure copy (scp) to these directories. If you work on a windows desktop, you can use a graphical scp client like winscp.

My preferred way would be:

Go to https://wiki.centos.org/Download select for example x86_64 for 64bit or i386 for 32 bit in the Centos 6.7 row, select a mirror and copy the link from the minimal ISO.
Then log into your dedicated server where Proxmox VE runs and use wget to download the iso to your server so that you can select it, for example:
Code:
wget -P /var/lib/vz/template/iso/ http://mirror.nextlayer.at/centos/6.7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.7-x86_64-minimal.iso

After that command finished you should see the iso in the Webinterface. When you install and KVM/VM, select it and create the VM then start it and proceed with the installation from CentOS.
Here some screenshots which may be helping you:
uploaded_iso_manual_scrot.png
2015-08-24-102305_660x424_scrot.png
2015-08-24-102436_826x572_scrot.png

Sir I have to wget the iso link under /var/lib/vz/template/iso ???
Or I have to upload in /root ??

Yes, like I described use /var/lib/vz/template/iso

/var/lib/vz/ equals the "local" storage you see in the web interface and template/iso is the folder where Proxmox looks for ISOs.

Can u please provide me link of CentOS 6.5 x86_64 minimal for kvm?? I tried to find it on google, but I didnt get anything.

Now you should start the machine, and open the Console, so you can install the system, the root password and everything else gets defined here, like you install an operating system on a real computer. It should look something like this:
2015-08-24-163254_1244x855_scrot.png

Hmm, looks like your Virtual machine cannot start correctly, your screenshot from above ( http://prntscr.com/88bd6i ) also suggests this.
What does the task log say when you start/reset the VM? Double click it do get the error output.

2015-08-25-072738_1211x486_scrot.png

Screenshot_2.jpg Sorry for giving screenshot external link. I am attaching screenshot when I start a vps. I have stopped then started the vps. It is the log screenshot of vps start.

I tink the server was problem. I bought a new server. In this server proxmox is installed. I have created kvm vps on it. After that Right click on VPS and I open console to install the vps. Now this is showing from last 15 minutes.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 6
Sorry the 2nd image image was uploaded by mistake. I have deleted but how can It will show, I do not know. Please delete 2nd image and suggest me what to do next.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!