LVM for VMs on PVE Volume Group

mazer9

Oct 25, 2010
In the past, I've configured my servers with a smaller capacity Raid 1 for the Proxmox installation and used a separate larger Raid 10 array for the VMs on a LVM volume. For this build I have just one large Raid 10 and I use a tiny percentage of the array for the swap, root, and data partitions. Using the GUI, I added a LVM volume to the existing PVE group for VM storage.

Is this the appropriate way to make use of the additional disk space that was available on the array at install or should this exist on a separate volume group on a separate physical volume? I guess my question is, after the proxmox installation has finished, what's the optimum way set up the rest of the available disk space for local VM storage? It's a 3.64 TB array and only about 120GB is being used by the proxmox installation. I'd like to use the rest as a LVM volume for KVM storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!