Bootless Kernel Updates?

360sync

Aug 7, 2015
Hello,

I am interested in an option such as KernelCare for Proxmox to update without rebooting. Is there currently or coming feature to have this option available, or any insight on best practice to help automate updates?

Thank you,

Chad

Good Point. I'm using ksplice for several years now. Having such a service like KernelCare for Proxmox would be a Brilliant Feature.

Good news - reached out to KernelCare team a couple weeks ago and they've released an update to support Proxmox today :)

Just ran the update and all is good now!

Have been running KernelCare for a couple months and all seems to be good.

However a question on Kernel version, with Proxmox the kernel version does not appear to be updating after the last reboot or would appear to be close to this time frame. While KernelCare admin is showing the latest version deployed, Proxmox is lagging a couple versions. Is a reboot the only way to have Proxmox update? KernelCare was installed with no reboots, would a reboot then correct and allow KC to complete future kernel updates?

Proxmox kernels are not fully supported by KenrelCare.

You don't need to reboot on install.
uname -a should show old kernel version
kcare-uname -a should show new kernel version.

Okay, so what would be the appropriate method to update the kernel?

I understand there is no reboot required for install, however do we need to reboot to get Proxmox kernels updated, since KC is not quite there yet?

Okay, so what would be the appropriate method to update the kernel?

I understand there is no reboot required for install, however do we need to reboot to get Proxmox kernels updated, since KC is not quite there yet?
What do you mean by KC is not quite there yet?
You just install KernelCare -- and that is it... no reboot.

One is real version (the one you have booted with)
The other one (KC) is the effective version: meaning the version up to which you are secured.

And before 'correcting' it --> why would you correct it/what exactly do you want to correct?
The real version is needed, as you want when drivers/etc.. are built for the kernel, real version is important.
Effective version gives you knowledge up to which version your running kernel had been updated.
They are different for a reason, that you really need both.

Reactions: EuroDomenii
Ah ha - much appreciate you explaining the details on the two versions :)

I was taking it that KC wasn't totally compatible so certain items still needed a reboot or other to get Proxmox on the current version.
However now understand the reason behind the two versions, which very much helps to see the why.
For the effective version we can see this on KC's site and Proxmox will show the version last booted with.

Thanks again!

I just installed this on a server using their free 1 month trial, on an upgrade attempt I get:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]root@s2:~# kcarectl -u
Unknown Kernel (debian 2.6.32-42-pve)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
I've opened a ticket with them so will see what they say.

Sorry, this kernel doesn't need any patches yet. Older kernels are already patched with all the fixes from this kernel.
We will add recognition for this kernel by tomorrow.

Sorry, this kernel doesn't need any patches yet. Older kernels are already patched with all the fixes from this kernel.
We will add recognition for this kernel by tomorrow.

Thanks Igor, could you please clarify for me. You say it doesn't need any patches yet however I see a pending update to pve-kernel-2.6.32-43-pve which would require a reboot to be effective. Thus my confusion.

Patches for newer kernels are out.

And we actually monitor upstream, so the way it works for Proxmox 3.x is that issue first raised on security mailing lists, then it gets fixed in VZ kernels and after that pve kernel gets created.
It might not always be this sequence, but usually it is. We often catch issues at security mailing list level, and patch issue even before it hits OpenVZ.
Or we would wait for OpenVZ, but when we do patch for OpenVZ -- we would also do one for proxmox 3.x right away.

With Proxmox 4.x it is security mailing lists -> ubuntu -> proxmox 4.x from what we understand, and we are planning to follow the same strategy.

Anyway -- all the kernels should be recognizable now.

Looks like there hasn't been any updates to kernel care since Feb 12th 2016... They show pve-kernel-4.2.6-1-pve_4.2.6-36 while now after doing some updates and a reboot i checked kcarectl --uname and it shows "Unknown Kernel (debian 4.2.8-1-pve)" ... so now its not updating anymore... how come kernel care isn't up to date with what i just updated in proxmox?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!