Migrate a KVM image to proxmox ceph

jonathan2493

Jan 29, 2015
hi,

I have a kvm image with the format of qcow2, I want to place it in my proxmox cluster. I am using ceph as the storage for created VMs.
How do take the KVM image and place in ceph, and re run it inside proxmox?:confused:
thanks!

How do I do that?

Lets say Ive placed the qcow image in /var/lib/vz/images/.

I have a ceph pool named ceph. I want the qcow2 file to be placed in the ceph pool.
Any specific commands on how to do that?

thanks !!

How do I do that?

Lets say Ive placed the qcow image in /var/lib/vz/images/.

I have a ceph pool named ceph. I want the qcow2 file to be placed in the ceph pool.
Any specific commands on how to do that?

thanks !!

Hi,
qcow2 is usable on an filesystem only (like local storage, nfs) - on ceph the images are stored as rbd-"file" (rados block device).

create an VM with an qcow2-hdd on local storage (like vm 111) and move your qcow2-file to this hdd-file (old content will be overwritten!!!):
Code:
mv your_qcow2_file.qcow2 /var/lib/vz/images/111/vm-111-disk-1.qcow2
In the pve-gui use "Move Disk" -> Target storage ceph + delete source.

That's all.

Udo

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!