PVE 4 install - no boot

AlanMAC

Dec 3, 2011
I am trying to install PVE 4 from iso, but am unable to boot into the OS. Seems like grub may not be installed? I'm going to jump in and check it out when time permits, but wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue. I've tried two different hard drives, just to make sure it's not the drive. I can install other OS' just fine (going to install Debian 8 and install PVE on top as a last resort). I loaded the iso into VirtualBox to verify that it works and everything booted just fine. Grub is the only thing I know to check at this point.

It may be a bios setting. Did you adjust any settings? Also, I had issues installing version 4 on 2 laptops. It worked fine on 5 physical servers. Virtual Box 5 worked fine also.

This was in fact a laptop - I verified BIOS settings and made sure everything is correct. It tries to pxe, but I don't have that setup for PVE. Maybe something to do with laptops then?

I have a similar problem with the installer.

If i boot my server with a dell 19" 4/3 screen, i never see the proxmox boot screen and i cant install. i just have a message (comming from the screen itself) who said it can't display (maybe a screen resolution problem).

If i boot my server with another screen (a 24" 16/9 packardbell), all is fine the boot screen is display and i can follow instruction to install the system.

is there a way to boot and install proxmox in text mode or low resolution (1024*768)?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!