Qemu exposing ACPI tables to guest

jinjer

Renowned Member
Oct 4, 2010
I'm in a situation where I need some of the ACPI tables of the physical server to be exposed to the guest (for licensing purposes). I know about the SLIC patch for seabios, but it does not apply here.

I have a media for windows 2012 server (HP) which refuses to boot on non-hp hardware. Actually, the hardware is the HP proliant server that this media was sold with (oem), but I want to run proxmox and virtualize the windows install.

There is no SLIC table in ACPI and I don't know exactly which table is used for verification.

Is there a way to expose all tables from the physical server to the kvm guest?

What you want to do is illegal since it violates the license. An OEM license is explicitly for the hardware it was delivered with and must not be installed on a virtualized server.

What you want to do is illegal since it violates the license. An OEM license is explicitly for the hardware it was delivered with and must not be installed on a virtualized server.
There are a lot of licenses out there and it is not the point to discuss here whether it is illegal or not. In fact it is perfectly legal, as it is only the boot media that is tied to be used on the vendor hardware which is selling the oem software. The license itself allows either virtualized or physical operation.

As a proof of this fact, be aware that VMWARE has the means to expose any and all tables from a physical server to the guest and this is used not only for licensing but for other purposes also.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!