Q: Monitor LVM Shared SAN storage free space via snmpd - thoughts/hints ?

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, this is maybe not really a proxmox question, but because of how LVM is used by proxmox from shared storage, the first 'generic' (Cacti:Snmpd) based answers don't seem relevant.

I have just setup a 2-proxmox-node cluster deployment with some large shared FCAL attached disk volumes; which are presented as 2 LVM stores to the proxmox cluster. I typicaly like to use Cacti and snmpd to keep track of long-term history trends on CPU:RAM:NIC use so have just setup this basic monitoring. In a perfect world it would be nice to also be able to easily see what the free:used disk space trends are like as well

so, from CLI for example I see:

Code:
root@proxmox-b:/etc/snmp# lvs
  LV            VG        Attr      LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Move Log Copy%  C
  vm-114-disk-1 lvm-san-1 -wi------ 500.00g
  vm-400-disk-1 lvm-san-1 -wi------ 250.00g
  vm-113-disk-1 lvm-san-2 -wi-ao--- 500.00g
  data          pve       -wi-ao---   3.41t
  root          pve       -wi-ao---  96.00g
  swap          pve       -wi-ao--- 125.00g

root@proxmox-b:/etc/snmp# vgs
  VG        #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
  lvm-san-1   1   2   0 wz--n- 11.93t 11.20t
  lvm-san-2   1   1   0 wz--n- 11.72t 11.23t
  pve         1   3   0 wz--n-  3.64t 16.00g
root@proxmox-b:/etc/snmp# ls -la /dev/lvm-san-1
ls: cannot access /dev/lvm-san-1: No such file or directory

root@proxmox-b:/etc/snmp# ls -la /dev/lvm-san-2/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   60 Jun 18 20:29 .
drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 6560 Jun 18 20:32 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    7 Jun 18 20:29 vm-113-disk-1 -> ../dm-4
root@proxmox-b:/etc/snmp#

ie,
-I have got currently 3 different VMs that exist in the cluster which use SAN LVM storage
-only one of these 3 is currently running / accessible from this proxmox-B host
-proxmox-B can see the two LVM storage shared targets (plus his own internal ~3.64 Tb local PVE storage pool that is NOT shared storage)
-and, currently I have only one thing visible under /dev/lvm-san-2 (and nothing exists at /dev/lvm-san-1 - since no volume from there is currently attached to this proxmox-B host).

The suggestion I had from a cacti thread ( http://forums.cacti.net/post-53362.html ) was to monitor disk /dev/myvg/mylv

but that does not seem to be really suitable here.

based on what I do see in current local LVM slice monitors things like /dev/mapper/pve-data (local /var/lib/vz slice) could be monitored just fine -
but the shared LVM does not have a single pointer under /dev/mapper but rather has pointers for each VM which is residing on the shared SAN / for which this Proxmox host has access.

so, I guess I am just wondering if someone else has found a clever solution to this, ie, is it possible to monitor shared SAN LVM disk space via SNMPD/Cacti ?

Thanks!

Tim

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!