Jessie and 3.10.0 OpenVZ kernel and the future

OpenVZ is dead. The released source tree for RHEL7 has a long way to go before even to be considered beta. Add to this that all support utilities is not converted to RHEL7 and still only works with RHEL6 kernels. Given the fact that transition to RHEL7 for openvz started more than 3 years ago I will consider this as a proof that development has stalled.

It would ve nice to at least have a little bit of OpenVZ / LXC crossover rather than just dropping OpenVZ.

It would ve nice to at least have a little bit of OpenVZ / LXC crossover rather than just dropping OpenVZ.

Proxmox VE 3.x series support OpenVZ, no plan to drop it there.

Proxmox VE 4.x series does not support OpenVZ.

And upgrade from 3.x to 4.x lost data?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I am quite sure that when the times come there will be an upgrade plan including openvz -> lxc transition.
I hope so! Just switching would make my, and I'm sure many others, life very difficult

Proxmox VE 3.x series support OpenVZ, no plan to drop it there.

Proxmox VE 4.x series does not support OpenVZ.
I'm really surprised, but fully support this decision. LXC container on ceph rbd with HA capabilities would be nice (also shared mounts from host). Do you plan to support live migration with LXC with CRIU or similar?

So if there's a 3.10 kernel with OpenVZ being actively developed why drop OpenVZ in 4.x ?

I can understand that OpenVZ is old now and should be replaced what I'm still concerned about is the transition between 3.x and 4.x. If either supported LXC AND OpenVZ the upgrade would be smooth with the ability to change to LXC in place.

The idea of allowing an automated upgrade switch technologies across many containers in one go seriously concerned me.

So if there's a 3.10 kernel with OpenVZ being actively developed why drop OpenVZ in 4.x ?
You have misunderstand it. There is no actively development for OpenVZ in 3.10 kernel. The sources have been released as is and then it is up to the community to jump in. The former OpenVZ team has been acquired by Virtuozzo to concentrate of developing Virtuozzo Core.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.

How about 3.x ? lxc-checkconfig only produces two problems :

Code:
Cgroup namespace: CONFIG_CGROUP_NS missing
Cgroup memory controller: missing

I've not had any contact with LXC (yet). Is there any reason LXC would be a problem in 3.x and if so is there any way those problems could be fixed ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!