Advice on upgrading and avoiding Grub install problems

greavette

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hello,

I have a proxmox server running 3.1-3 that I'm finally ready to upgrade. Based on the experience I had with our production server upgrade and the forum posts I see here..what are the proper steps I should take to ensure the upgrade goes smoothly?

As I understand it...there are issues with upgrading using hte GUI. Please confirm that I would need to use the following command from the terminal: apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

My server has 3 raid arrays. It's been years since Proxmox was first installed so I'm unsure which array Grub was first installed on? Is there an istruction I can issue on this proxmox server to check where Grub is so that when I upgrade and it asks me where to put the new version of Grub I won't mess up the upgrade?

Thanks!

For anyone else reading this post, here's the answer on how I successfully upgraded our Proxmox Server to 3.4. Thanks goes to Symmcom Support on their assistance with providing the necessary steps on how to safely upgrade this server.

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade are the correct instructions.

When you get the part of the upgrade where it asks to upgrade GRUB the proper process is to choose all your drives (See Screenshot.jpg). When the upgrade goes to update Grub it will look through all your drives and install Grub on the drive that had it previously.

What you will see when the upgrade finds it can't install Grub is the following warning message (See Upgrade_GrubWarning.jpg). Accept this warning and continue with the install.

The above worked for me during my upgrade.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Upgrade_GrubWarning.jpg
    Upgrade_GrubWarning.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!