Live migration machine type issue between 3.1 and 3.3 (and maybe 3.4?)

rkl

Sep 21, 2014
We added a new Proxmox server to our cluster a while back and it's happily running Proxmox 3.3
(we will schedule a 3.4 update on it at some point soon). The older machines in the cluster are
running 3.1 and I wanted to bring them up to 3.3 (or 3.4).

To avoid downtime, the standard practice is to live migrate a VM away to another
Proxmox server in the cluster, so in our case we wanted to live migrate all the VMs
running on one of the older 3.1 servers to the new 3.3 server. With the default
options in the VM config files though, this actually can't be done!

We don't have machine: directives in the /etc/pve/qmu-server/vmid.conf files for each VM,
so it uses the default qemu machine type, which rather dubiously has actually changed
between the 3.1 and 3.3 releases! This actually prevents live migration from 3.1 to 3.3
(it copies the conf file across to the 3.3 node, but then errors out and stops the VM at
the end of the live migration).

So unless you've put machine: lines in your vmid.conf files, you cannot avoid some
downtime when moving VMs from 3.1 to 3.3 (or possibly 3.4) servers, which isn't
great. I did search the forums to see if someone else had this issue, but I couldn't
see an equivalent posting.

I did test this theory with a test VM - I fired it up on 3.1 without a machine: line in its
vmid.conf and it refused to successfully live migrate (stopping the VM in the process,
which isn't great). I then added this line to the vmid.conf:

machine: pc-i440fx-1.4

I fired up the VM on Proxmox 3.1 and live-migrated it successfully to a 3.3 server,
though I did get this error:

Apr 27 14:02:49 ERROR: encountered object '446419', but neither allow_blessed nor convert_blessed settings are enabled at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Cluster.pm line 407.

I'd like some advice on exactly what I should be doing with these machine: lines - is it a good
idea to include them and what are the recommended values to use (particularly for live migration
purposes from an older Proxmox to a newer one)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!