[SOLVED] SLES 11 SP 3 from vmware to proxmox

Hello!

This week i tried to convert a Linux VM, but now i dont know what i should do.
In the past i converted successfull vmdk´s, most of them had one harddrivedisk.
I read all the proxmox wiki´s, but i don´t find a way to convert this Linux VM with more harddrivedisks.

The VM i tried to convert is a SuseLinuxEnterpriseServer 11, ServicePack 3. It has six harddisks, on vmware scsi0 - scsi5. On Proxmox i build the same configuration, six hdd´s with scsi0 - scsi5.
I tried a lot, but when SLES 11 SP3 boots up, it says always ....Could not find /dev/sda2. And then .... Want me to fall back to /dev/sda2? When this continued, then there is just the command line, and no mounts or other devices are there.

Does anyone had the same issue with a linux vm with more than one disk?

It will work with ide, but i need six ide devices, is this possible?

Thanks,

Roman

Now it works.. 4xIDE Harddisks, and 2xSATA Harddisks, it seem that it work. Linux just boots correct when the disk(s) are IDE.

Last edited:
I know this is an old question... but I thought people may like the actual solution to this issue. You can convert your disks to virtio ones if you wish.

Firstly, there's no need for all the disks to be IDE or SATA. Just the boot (/dev/sda) needs to be IDE to begin with. You can set the others to scsi if you wish, or better Virtio. Bear in mind if you change to virtio, your disks will change from sdb, to vdb. You'll need to change any reference to the disk in configuration (eg. fstab, /etc/sysconfig/bootloader, /boot/grub/menu.lst) from /dev/sdb1 to /dev/disk/by-uuid/....

Once you've done this, reboot to make sure you've not broken anything. Disks should still mount.

Next you need to add the kernel modules for virtio to your boot time ram disk. Edit /etc/sysconfig/kernel and add 'virtio_blk virtio_ring virtio virtio_net virtio_balloon virtio_pci' to your INITRD_MODULES line. This is a little overkill, but it will make things work. If you're using the default LSI SCSI card you can add the 'sym53c8xx scsi_transport_spi' to the list (not tried this but it should work).

Finally run 'mkinitrd'

After this you can power off the VM, change your sda to a virtio disk and power back on. The performance difference between IDE and virtio is astonishing.

Hope this helps someone.

Chris.

Reactions: velocity08

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!