Backup of Proxmox Itself

gschiltz

Aug 31, 2014
I would appreciate hearing how folks backup their proxmox servers. Backing up VMs managed by Proxmox is straightforward, due to the built-in snapshot ability and backup scheduler. In my case, I just do a daily rsync of my VM backups to an external drive and keep all but one external drive offsite. These snapshot backups serve basically as "bare metal" backups of the systems contained in the VMs, apart from any application level backups I do, such as mysqldumps. I would like to accomplish the same bare metal recovery ability for the physical server itself, especially since I have an unsuported configuration (Proxmox installed on top of Debian, itself installed on a 4-drive software RAID 10 array). I have had fair success in the past (before I started using Proxmox) using the open source Relax and Recover project (relax-and-recover.org), and by default, that is what I will use. But I'd like to hear others' thoughts as well. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: ebiss
We dont. we use ansible, a configuration manager, so its easier to rebuild servers than restore from backup.

proxmox is slightly more effort but still easy enough. ive been thinking of adding code to the installer to look for a config file or script in /proc/cmdline to make it easier. this would also allow for fully automated proxmox installs and cluster joins if your switches allow for pxe booting. have not had the time to try it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!