Proxmox 2.3 and 3.4 nodes in the same cluster

robarago

Feb 23, 2012
Hi everybody,

This is my first post so I would like to thank you very much for your contributions and ask for a little of patience with newcomers like me.

I'm having some issues with two Proxmox 3.4 nodes I've already added to an existing cluster of nodes with Proxmox 2.3. The most anoying is that the new nodes are always "offline", so I can't create any MV to them. The nodes with Proxmox 3.4 does not have any suscription key yet, maybe this is important.

Anybody have had any experience with this kind of configuration?
Is it possible to add to this cluster some nodes with Proxmox 1.9?

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi,
You should update your other nodes to 3.4!
It is not possible to mix cluster 1.x and cluster grater than 2.x.
They have an different cluster stack.

And what about mixing only 2.3 and 3.4 nodes? Is it feasible? Should this be the cause of the "offline" nodes?
Thank you very much for your fast and kind reply!

Regards,
Roberto.

You should never mix a cluster for long term.
it is ok if you upgrade one node and the the next and so on.
The problem the most components get new features and the old nodes do not provide them.
the recommendation is to have one version on a cluster.

You should never mix a cluster for long term.
it is ok if you upgrade one node and the the next and so on.
The problem the most components get new features and the old nodes do not provide them.
the recommendation is to have one version on a cluster.

Thank you very much againf, Wolfgang.
I'm actually testing 3.4 in these two new nodes, but they are always "offline" in the cluster and that's my main concern.
If I can't use the nodes in the short term because they are offline (i.e. I can't create VM's). In this situation, I'd have to downgrade them to 2.3 to have an uniform cluster as you suggested.

Old nodes can't be upgraded right now but the cluster must operate continuously.

Thanks for you reply again. Regards,
Roberto.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!