Change kvm harddisk from ide to sata (Windows 2008)

copymaster

Nov 25, 2009
Hi!

I have a windows 2008 R2 Server (64 bit) in a kvm vm.
I tested harddisk with hd-tune and got about 150 MB/s. This harddisk is an IDE one.

Now i added a second harddsik, SATA and tested this disk also with hd-tune. Here i got 250 MB/s which is really good.

I powered off the vm and removed the IDE harddisk. Afterwards i reconfigured this disk to be SATA.
But now windows is just booting into recoverymode and i am not able to start it untill i reconfigure the drive to be IDE again.

Is there a way to make the IDE drive a SATA one so that windows is booting up again?

i like to test if the windows disk will have more performance in sata mode

Don't use sata if you need online migration: it's disabled. Just learnt the hard way. :(
Said that, if you want top performance you can try installing virtio drivers and change disks to virtio mode. IDE can be a bit tricky.

thank you.

i tried virtio for a windows system harddisk but it has some strange behaviour. i will leave it with ide.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!