Emails not reaching Hosted Exchange/Office365 users

joshualhoward

Mar 11, 2015
Hey all,

We have a Proxmox system that backs up every night. I did not configure the system, and know nothing at all about linux and am more a windows system administrator. The person who set up the proxmox system and all is no longer working with us, so it is my responsibility now.

The backup system sends out emailed reports to an email alias, which forwards that report to 4 users - me, my boss, and 2 end-users. me and my boss are on email through a company called Rackspace, and the 2 end users are on office365. The 2 end users are not receiving the emails, and they say they have not been getting them for quite some time. My boss and i have been receiving them since day 1.

things ive already tried:
ive created a new alias under a different name. Ive added another email address to the alias, a gmail account, and the email went to that gmail address fine.
ive contacted office365 and they said they saw no record of the email trying to make it through, and i also did a 'message trace' in office365 and it showed no record of it either. i shelled into the linux console, and sent test emails to my gmail, my rackspace, as well as the end users. I also sent a test email from the shell to ANOTHER user who is not from the same organization as the initial 2 users, but who IS on office 365. Everyone received emails except the 2 initial users, and the new user from office 365 who we included for the test. No matter what, it seems office365 users are not getting emails from this proxmox system.

Thank you for any help you can provide

Here are 2 screenshots -- the first is the 'tail' of the mail.log, with the info after sending an email to me "jhoward AT interconnect dot net"
the second is the same thing, but after sending an email to the end user who i have redacted.

http://imgur.com/a/rz2Qc

let me know if you need anymore info, or what you recommend i can check

thanks

I have to wonder is the 2 users who are not receiving emails have the correct addresses in Proxmox.

Have you changed the Proxmox sender's name? Instead of "nobody" & "root" try a couple of real names (like Jeremy & Clarkson). For what ever reason Outlook was putting everything in the Junk folder for me with the default settings.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!