fence device

jagan

Feb 11, 2015
india,chennai
Hi, can i use netgear gs108tv2 switch as fence device? And is proxmox commands is common to all vendor switches?can any one tell me what are the switches supports fencing.thanks in advance

can i use netgear gs108tv2 switch as fence device?

No - a fence device is not a(n IP) switch!

A fence device removes the power from a server if it cannot be reached any more in a cluster network.

A switch is perfecly valid as a fence device. See the wiki.

But Power off/on is not possible with this solution!?

And: Does it make sense to isolate a node which is already not reachable in the network?

The important part is that you "permanently" isolate the failed node both from users and storage. So even if it comes back online it can't be reached and can't alter disks.
That means that if you have a DAS as shared storage you can't just fence a node using a managed IP switch: the VM could still be running and updating data on the storage even if the network connection is not working.
On the other hand fencing by IP switch is perfectly fine if you're using iSCSI and fence all interfaces of the failed node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!