Glibc 2.14

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
How's it going guys and gals? We are working on moving to new gen9 HP proliant servers. Overall everything has went really smooth.

- UEFI booting working great
- Raid card drivers looking good
- Support for our SAS HBA's

The one piece we are running into though is installing the HP tools to monitor the server. The new version actually requires glibc 2.14 or higher. Looks like wheezy only comes with 2.13.x. I have found that installing the following packages get around this.

libc6_2.15-0ubuntu10.11_amd64.deb
libc6-dev_2.15-0ubuntu10.11_amd64.deb

Im not removing the 2.13.x version and when I run "lld --version" it still outputs the 2.13.x. Does anyone think this could cause issues. So far in my testing it doesn't seem to effect anything. The other option is to install the packages to a specific directory and use LD_LIBRARY_PATH but im not a huge fan of this.

I appreciate the input!

If the are compiled and packaged for Debian Wheezy they should work with the version of glibc on Debian Wheezy. You are sure that you did not fetched the version for Ubuntu?

You can see the exact packages for Wheezy on this page: http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/d...wheezy/current/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages

With the gen8's we always used the following.

echo "deb http://downloads.linux.hp.com/SDR/repo/mcp wheezy/current non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hp.list

Then we can simply install the packages. However when I use this on the gen9's the packages install, but they don't work. HP stated I needed to use the newer version (10.0) which doesn't come down in this method (Only 9.4 does).

I wonder if this is possibly an issue on HP's end. The following package is the only one I can get working on the gen9's but like I said it requires glibc 2.14+.

hp-health_10.0.0.1.3-4._amd64.deb

The don't have that version available for Wheezy. I wonder whether it is cause by a simple blonder or because that version cannot be compiled against glibc 2.13. You could ask customer service whether it would be possible to have HP compile a package against glibc 2.13 if the have forgotten it or the reason for not having this version for glibc 2.13 is because it is not able to build against glibc < 2.14

The don't have that version available for Wheezy. I wonder whether it is cause by a simple blonder or because that version cannot be compiled against glibc 2.13. You could ask customer service whether it would be possible to have HP compile a package against glibc 2.13 if the have forgotten it or the reason for not having this version for glibc 2.13 is because it is not able to build against glibc < 2.14

I agree, I will give them a call today and see how far I can get. Thanks for the input!

Well I ended up emailing Craig Lamparter which is part of the HP Servers Linux R&D team. Here was his response.

The last tested hp-health for wheezy was hp-health_9.4.0.1.7-5._amd64.deb.

The newer hp-health was built on ubuntu(trusty), which traditionally works on wheezy, but that hasn't been
the case this round. Mostly because of deviations on libsnmp and as you noticed, glibc. I'd be curious
to see if you could fake the glibc dependency as it's not using anything "new" in that regard.

The irony is that it probably works fine on Jesse.

Our only options are to either install the glibc 2.14 packages or the LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!