ZFS ARC Ram question

nethfel

Dec 26, 2014
Hi all,

I'm considering on a fresh install of 3.4 to install to a RAID 1 array of relatively small disks (depending on what I have on hand, somewhere between 80 and 500 Gig / drive). How much RAM should really be set aside for this for ZFS? I don't plan on hosting any VMs on this particular array, it's just to give some survivability should one of the drives fail, would I really need to set aside 50% of the total RAM for this operation? If so I might just explore setting up mdadm instead, it would just be more straight forward (and potentially easier to maintain) with zfs I think.

My home server have 48GB of ram. I set up 10gb for ARC. Works normally for me.
If you dont need file checksum use mdadm. ZFS keeps cache of block and checksums inside ARC. So ZFS speed +- depend on ARC.

p.s. I have 2 pools - 3 disk raid1 and 2 disk mirror. None of them are build for enterprise so ARC boost it.

Ugh, I was afraid someone was going to respond like that. I have to work with what I have available unfortunately (budget is really tight), these boxes only have 16GB of RAM (which for the amount of VMs that will run on them, is fine). I can easily set aside 2GB for ZFS; I might be able to squeeze 4, but anything more than that (and really even @ 4) would make it difficult to impossible to migrate VMs from one of the 3 fresh nodes for maintenance... Guess I'll have to acquire some more RAM, I think I can bump them all up to 20GB without too much added expense - I could probably start now with the 16 I have and set aside 4GB and if I have to do maintenance, shut down non-essential VMs and migrate the essential ones until I can get 20+ into each server..

IMHO anything less than 8GB dedicated for ZFS will give you a bad experience. ZFS is build for enterprise systems and does not perform well when resources is scarce. In particular scarce RAM can quickly lead to a measurable performance drop.

Well, that was what I was wondering - how much of a load would there be with it just being the boot drive in a raid 1 of the hypervisor? Granted, I know there will be data coming in/out from the cluster sync and such, but other than that there would be no VMs actually hosted within the ZFS file system.

Oh, sorry, I missed that point. I think with only the OS sitting on a ZFS mirror you should have no problems. But then it's still comparatively very memory-intensive and if you don't need or use ZFS features then I see no point. I'd just stick with MDRAID.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!