Cluster nodes crash shortly after starting install of VMs

dgeist

Feb 26, 2015
Hi, I'm running a 3-node PM3.4 installation on top of an Ubuntu 14.04 workstation/KVM. This is for demonstration purposes, the successful result of which would lead to deployment on bare metal.

The problem is that every time I start to install a VM, the node on which it's started locks up, reports CPU faults on console, the crashes entirely. The cluster is running a basic Ceph setup for block storage (32 Gb total storage). Each VM node has 8 processors and 4 Gigs of RAM, and a "Virtio" system disk along with an emulated SCSI disk for the CEPH OSD.

The client VMs I'm trying to install are Ubuntu 14.04 and Centos 6.6.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing the instability?

Dan

Hi,

You have enable nested visualization?
Can you send the CPU faults?

Hi,

You have enable nested visualization?
Can you send the CPU faults?

Hi. I have enabled the nested virt feature on my libvirt hypervisor (and have nested other virtualized hypervisors on it previously). Do I need to enable nested virt in the 3 virtual Proxmox hypervisors as well? I saw a note somewhere that using virtio in a nested client can cause problems. Is this the case? Also, I can't get any meaningful logging out of proxmox, even on the console. Other than usual linux syslog, where does one even look for the problem. It's a bit of a black box. Things just stop responding and the other two nodes in the cluster start reporting ceph OSD errors, etc.

Dan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!