Modifying Proxmox VNC arguments

Jan 12, 2015
Is there any way on proxmox to change the args used to start the VNC server for the virtual? I'd like to run the vnc server on localhost:XXXX without x509 or TLS or password options. Then connect regular plain old VNC over an ssh tunnel.

/usr/bin/kvm -id 110 -chardev socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/110.qmp,server,nowait -mon chardev=qmp,mode=control -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/110.vnc,x509,password -pidfile ...

I would rather tunnel regular VNC over an ssh connection than deal with the limited options for x509/TLS VNC clients on Mac/Linux.

Hi,

the only way to change this is to modify the Code manually.

Is the code accessible on the proxmox install as Perl or Python or something or are you referring to a private codebase I wouldn't necessarily have access to as a customer. Thanks!

Proxmox is opensource so you have access to the code but it is perl, so you can edit it also on an installation.
Path /use/share/perl5/pve
Repro git.proxmox.com.

Thanks! Found the file to edit in the directory you mentioned and my VM is starting up now with: unix:/var/run/qemu-server/110.vnc,localhost,alwaysshared...

VNC is soooo much snappier now :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!