Mount VMA File

UnZone

Feb 25, 2015
I was wondering if it was possible to mount, or extact the virtual disk, from a VMA file for file level extraction of a backup? This would be great for those times (like the time I'm in right now) when you just need a couple files from a backup and not a whole VM. I understand I could use another solution for file level backups but having everything under one roof would be great.

Thanks.

You could attach the virtual disk with another VM as secondary HDD then read the files from inside the VM. Still its a hassle because you have to restore the VM with different ID then rename the virtual disk to match the VM you are attaching to. I use BackupPC for all granular level file backups. This way i only need the full backup during major disaster which requires complete VM restore.

Or, restore the whole VM with different ID, then boot the VM with a Live Linux ISO. While inside use something like filezilla to copy the files you need.

You could attach the virtual disk with another VM as secondary HDD then read the files from inside the VM. Still its a hassle because you have to restore the VM with different ID then rename the virtual disk to match the VM you are attaching to. I use BackupPC for all granular level file backups. This way i only need the full backup during major disaster which requires complete VM restore.

Or, restore the whole VM with different ID, then boot the VM with a Live Linux ISO. While inside use something like filezilla to copy the files you need.

Thank you. I've done this method before in other environments and can't believe I didn't think of it here as well. This works like a charm. A little extra overhead caused by booting up another VM, but the price is worth it for having the ability to extract single files from the backup. Excellent solution.

Hi,
did you see the page http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/VMA ?

you can extract from VMA, but your platform must have requirements

Marco

Thank you. This solution works as well. If you search for 'vma mount' or something like that in most search engines, this wiki page does not show up, but if you search for 'vma extract' it does. I never thought 'extract' as I was stuck on 'mount'. This solution, like the other posted in this thread, does have a bit of overhead in it as you need a machine to work with the VMA file, but it works as well. Another excellent solution to getting back single files from a backup. Thanks again.

Reactions: Ciprian Tomoiaga
How do you do this? i have not been able to find the rest api call or gui commands to attach or detach an existing disk image. or, in my case, ceph rbd.

if the answer is to rename the image, and your a developer taking requests, then please re-invent that wheel.

it should be easy to add images to a storage pool and arbitrarily attach and detach them between guests. or, at least move them between guests. but then, youd have a guest dedicated to just holding unused images.

if the answer is to rename the image, and your a developer taking requests, then please re-invent that wheel.

it should be easy to add images to a storage pool and arbitrarily attach and detach them between guests. or, at least move them between guests. but then, youd have a guest dedicated to just holding unused images.

Sorry, I'm not a developer for Proxmox. I do develop software though, and maybe I will take a look at this. I've seen the request a lot of times for this feature and I honestly agree with everyone that it should be part of the GUI. If they are not working on it, I'll see what I can do to create a patch (but that would void your warranty and support if you had it I'm sure). I'll let you know, but don't expect anything quick.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!