VM's recently restored after update presenting cryptic error message, unable to start

aseikola

Aug 3, 2013
We just moved from 3.1 to 3.4 and in restoring our Windows 7 guest virtual machines from backup they are not starting. Please see the error below.

kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none,detect-zeroes=on: file system may not support O_DIRECT
kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none,detect-zeroes=on: could not open disk image /var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2: Could not open '/var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2': Invalid argument
TASK ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 201 -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/201.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/201.vnc,x509,password -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/201.pid -daemonize -name CRVMPTS1 -smp '1,sockets=1,cores=1,maxcpus=1' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000' -vga qxl -no-hpet -cpu 'kvm64,hv_spinlocks=0xffff,hv_relaxed,+lahf_lm,+x2apic,+sep' -m 2048 -k en-us -device 'qxl,id=vga1,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=33554432,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18' -device 'intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x19' -device 'hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0' -device 'hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -spice 'tls-port=61000,addr=127.0.0.1,tls-ciphers=DES-CBC3-SHA,seamless-migration=on' -device 'virtio-serial,id=spice,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9' -chardev 'spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent' -device 'virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:d6cd784be291' -drive 'if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native' -device 'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap201i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=B2:5C:7E:1A:D0:AB,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard'' failed: exit code 1

Re: VM's recently restored after update presenting cryptic error message, unable to s

I'm not an expert here with proxmox, but if I had to guess, I'd think this:

kvm: -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none,detect-zeroes=on: could not open disk image /var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2: Could not open '/var/lib/vz/images/201/vm-201-disk-1.qcow2': Invalid argument

is the heart of the problem - it looks like it either can't find the disk image or perhaps it's corrupt. Take a look at that path and make sure the disk image is where the VM thinks it should be.

Re: VM's recently restored after update presenting cryptic error message, unable to s

Not sure why I even tried this but via the GUI under the hard disk for one of the VM's I changed it from no cache (default) to write through and the vm started ok and it can be accesses/used. Does anyone know why that might have fixed the vm not starting issue based on the error that was generated?

Not sure why I even tried this but via the GUI under the hard disk for one of the VM's I changed it from no cache (default) to write through and the vm started ok and it can be accesses/used. Does anyone know why that might have fixed the vm not starting issue based on the error that was generated?

I also wanted to mention that the virtual disks on the various win 7 guests were a mix of virtio with .qcow2 and ide with .raw

I have no idea what file system you use on /var/lib/vz, but it obviously does not support O_DIRECT. So you need to change the disk cache mode.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!