Host continously running out of space

devbaku

Feb 23, 2015
Hi there!

I've got a problem with free space on host server running Proxmox 3.4-1 (kernel: 2.6.32-37-pve)
By default Proxmox created 15 Gb during installation for / partition and everything was fine since there were just a couple of VMs.
After adding few more VMs (right now there are only 4 VMs running), somehow the system have eat up all of that 15 GB and continues.

Clipboard05.jpg

All VMs reside on a separate LVM and doesn't use system partition.
There are no large files on the system (see attached output of ncdu tool):

Clipboard01.jpg

I've resized system partition to 50 GB and right the next day df shows that 42 Gb is used!
How is that possible that Proxmox have used +27 Gb in just one night and there are no any big file present?!

Clipboard02.jpg

Swap is not used at all as the server has 128 Gb of RAM which is being used for 50% at the peaks.

Clipboard04.jpg

Inodes usage is max 2% on all partitions.

Clipboard03.jpg

Please advise.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that there is /mnt/ftp mounted to ftp via curlftpfs which is using that 40.2 GB.
Can it be the one causing this issue and if so, why the system is counting that as its own?

I already thought about that, but why?
Is there a way to mount ftp folder so the system won't count its usage as the system usage?
Hi,
the problem is more an "not mounted" filesystem - then you wrote something on this path, which counts on the root-partition. If you after that mount the filesystem again, you see only the content of the mounted filesystem and not the files on the root-partition.

Udo

Hi,
the problem is more an "not mounted" filesystem - then you wrote something on this path, which counts on the root-partition. If you after that mount the filesystem again, you see only the content of the mounted filesystem and not the files on the root-partition.

Udo

Udo,

Thank you very much for replies!
I appreciate your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!