Need advice on this problems: How to synchronize 4 proxmox?

gregNO

Feb 19, 2015
Hello there,

We are an open-source software telecom enterprise, and we often need to make demo in our customer's office. As we sometimes do not have access to internet in there, we imagine carrying small itx server (atom 8vcore + 16GB) with a proxmox and our telecom eco-system.
As we have 4 office in our country we would have 4 demo servers, and we imagine also to "synchronize" this demo servers through our WAN or Internet (yes, i know, our VM could be 30GB, but that's ok)... At start, i thought to use the cluster functionnality of proxmox, but after reading the doc, i now thinking that's not the right way... Because, one of the cluster part could "disappear" for days, and I think that's could be a problem for the cluster? Mostly if it's the master? I'm not sure after all, and I need your advice :)

I'm thinking now to make NFS share, but it might not be the right way too...
I also think about rsyncing the /var/lib/vz/images/*/*/*.qcow2 from a designated master to others demo servers?

So, How would you (the proxmox expert :p) manage this matter?

Thx!

Hey greg, cool problem with many different solutions. I would either keep backups for each vm in a central location that I would regularly update (rsync) or I would use some deployment tool that would setup each vm according to a preconfigured manner. It kind of depends if it's conf, data or both you want to sync. And also how time sensitive syncing is.

Hello there,

We are an open-source software telecom enterprise, and we often need to make demo in our customer's office. As we sometimes do not have access to internet in there, we imagine carrying small itx server (atom 8vcore + 16GB) with a proxmox and our telecom eco-system.
As we have 4 office in our country we would have 4 demo servers, and we imagine also to "synchronize" this demo servers through our WAN or Internet (yes, i know, our VM could be 30GB, but that's ok)... At start, i thought to use the cluster functionnality of proxmox, but after reading the doc, i now thinking that's not the right way... Because, one of the cluster part could "disappear" for days, and I think that's could be a problem for the cluster? Mostly if it's the master? I'm not sure after all, and I need your advice :)

I'm thinking now to make NFS share, but it might not be the right way too...
I also think about rsyncing the /var/lib/vz/images/*/*/*.qcow2 from a designated master to others demo servers?

So, How would you (the proxmox expert :p) manage this matter?

Thx!

Hi, first you need multicast between your proxmox hosts, so you need vpn or something which allow layer2 multicat communication.

If it's ok, with 4 sites, you can lost 1 of them without breaking the cluster. (you need a quorum).

But this doesn't syncronize/copy vm on differents hosts.
Maybe can you try with ceph. (if it's really for demo, and you don't care about wan latency)

What about having a 5th server that is the master, that stays put in the head office, using Proxmox 3.4 with ZFS, and having all 4 roaming demo units configured to replicate ZFS from the master?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!