IPv6 bridging issue with latest pve-kernel-3.10.0-7-pve

lopar

Feb 16, 2015
France
(Whoops, just saw the dedicated PVE Networking forum section, sorry for the misplaced post…)

Hi Proxmox forums!

For my first post here, I'd like to submit you to a very special issue (bug?) I had on two separate proxmox servers with pve-no-subscription repository.

First server is an online.net Dedibox XC with their custom PVE installation (nothing more than a base debian w/ proxmox installed afterwards, really) and second server is a laptop w/ a fresh install of PVE 3.3.
I compared both servers on dpkg level (dpkg -l) and got rather identical results, so I consider them both valid proxmox installations.

All VM are configured with virtio devices (both block and net), running 2 cores on cpu=host.

Last friday, I apt-get distup both of them and decided to reboot in order to ensure running latest pve-kernel and VM running latest qemu-kvm code.
All seemed right, except that 5 minutes after bootup, all low network activity VM were unreachable using IPv6. IPv4 was OK.

Tcpdump inside VM reveals nothing except ICMPv6 messages, w/o responses messages from either sollicited neighbors nor routers.
Tcpdumping the vmbr or the tap interfaces reveals nothing more.

Here is some info on the culprit kernel :

Code:
Package: proxmox-ve-2.6.32
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Proxmox Support Team <support@proxmox.com>
Architecture: all
Version: 3.3-147
Replaces: proxmox-ve, pve-kernel, proxmox-virtual-environment
Provides: proxmox-virtual-environment
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-18), pve-kernel-2.6.32-37-pve, pve-firmware, pve-manager, qemu-server, pve-qemu-kvm, openssh-client, openssh-server, apt, vncterm, vzctl (>= 3.0.29)
Please note that both kernels pve-kernel-2.6.32-34-pve and pve-kernel-3.10.0-7-pve do not show this faulty behavior. IPv6 bridging is OK with both of them.

I kept updating my systems during the week-end, since some packages had several updates (pve-qemu-kvm) and rebooting afterwards. Nothing was fixed with pve-kernel-2.6.32-37-pve.
I decided to run on pve-kernel-3.10.0-7-pve, since I don't need OpenVZ containers.

Thanks for reading through this!

Last edited:
Hi,

I have the same kind of issues: VMs (and hypervisor itself) does not reply to IPv6 NDP.
I would love to upgrade to 3.x kernel, however it seems that this kernel has issues with HP SmartArray controllers (and of course, that's the kind of hw I am running).

Do you have any open bug for that kind of problems ?
I don't really care using such an old kernel, and I don't care about upgrading to 3.10 either, but I'd appreciate to have at least one valid solution :)

Help !

Hi,
where is your server hosted?
and what Hardware you are using?
We can't yet reproduce this Bug!

Hello Wolfgang,

Hi,
where is your server hosted?
These are colocated servers, not a dedicated server provider. If you'd like to have access to it, it can be dealt :)

and what Hardware you are using?

ProLiant DL380 G5 (for one cluster)
ProLiant DL360 G5 (for another cluster)

We can't yet reproduce this Bug!

I have tried to install pve-kernel-3.10.0-7-pve, but the server does not boot (seems that the smartarray is not included in that kernel, so linux cannot boot up),
so I downgraded to 2.6.32-26-pve as said on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=600. For now, this is working fine...

Last edited:
Hi,
I would love to upgrade to 3.x kernel, however it seems that this kernel has issues with HP SmartArray controllers (and of course, that's the kind of hw I am running).

No Bug, you must activate the driver. Here's my kernelline:
Code:
linux   /vmlinuz-3.10.0-4-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root hpsa.hpsa_simple_mode=1 hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 ro  quiet

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!