target path outside of VM (Windows)

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello guys,

I am searching for a solution for the following idea:
I got a Windows VM on the first raid volume and want to target (make backups and stuff) a second raid volume that is implemented with the Proxmox machine as path (eg. /backups).

Can you recommend any secure solution for this?

Thanks so far & regards,

Afox

I guess your question is not too clear...

you wish to see /backups inside the windows vm as... what? a disk? a network share? something else?

is that /backup going to be used only by that vm?

Marco

hello and thanks for your reply!
i´d like to see some space available as network share or disk (everything i can make Snapshots to with Windows Backup Utility and save files seamlessly). The /backups directory is already accessible for users of the Proxmox host system. VZDumps etc. go there. I hope my answer makes it a little bit more clear.
Regards,
Afox

if you wish to use it as a network share in windows, you could install samba on the host sharing /backups, and mount that samba share inside windows, as any other network share.
of course this could expose all files there to all the users able to access that /backup share, in any way they can.
not a very good idea, imho, but if you're really sure, this could work, perhaps.

Marco

Last edited:
hm. ok this is why i want to inform myself to get all the concerns, too :)
Would it also work if I create an new CT with samba server on that backup dir?

ok, thanks. I am thinking about adding OpenVPN to the setup. If you can recommend anything else for more security I am very grateful for any hint :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!