Custom Proxmox instal on Dual Raid HP DL385 System

Geister

Jan 29, 2015
First, I DID search the FAQ and this Forum to try to find my answer before making this post and the results I found did not address my issue. I need some step by step help on how make a special configuration of the Proxmox, the reason why I need this is because the installer from some reason (unlike other installers) don't let me set my mount points as part of the install. Configuration: 1-RAID1 Array 1-RAID5 Array I am looking to install all of the Proxmox files on the RAID1 Array EXCEPT the Directory that holds the Virtual Machines and backups, I want that to be installed on the RAID5 array, if I was able to do this at the time of install this wouldn't be an issue. However, I can't, so I am hoping someone can give me step-by-Step instructions on how to make this configuration post install of the Proxmox v3.3 install. For many of the users here who posses better Linux/Debian skills than me this will be an easy issue to help me with.

First, I DID search the FAQ and this Forum to try to find my answer before making this post and the results I found did not address my issue. I need some step by step help on how make a special configuration of the Proxmox, the reason why I need this is because the installer from some reason (unlike other installers) don't let me set my mount points as part of the install. Configuration: 1-RAID1 Array 1-RAID5 Array I am looking to install all of the Proxmox files on the RAID1 Array EXCEPT the Directory that holds the Virtual Machines and backups, I want that to be installed on the RAID5 array, if I was able to do this at the time of install this wouldn't be an issue. However, I can't, so I am hoping someone can give me step-by-Step instructions on how to make this configuration post install of the Proxmox v3.3 install. For many of the users here who posses better Linux/Debian skills than me this will be an easy issue to help me with.

Try the following steps:

1. Install PVE onto the first array (RAID-1) as is
2. Create new VG on the second array (RAID-5)
3. Create new LV on that VG
4. Add that LV to PVE (via GUI for example)
5. (Optional) Dsiable and Remove LV Data from VG pve or keep it as is

@Whatever, I know that that the VMs are stored in /var/lib/vz what I am looking to do is just change the association of that places that mount point on the RAID1 to the RAID5 I don't see how making a new LV and VG does this??

Try the following steps:

1. Install PVE onto the first array (RAID-1) as is
2. Create new VG on the second array (RAID-5)
3. Create new LV on that VG
4. Add that LV to PVE (via GUI for example)
5. (Optional) Dsiable and Remove LV Data from VG pve or keep it as is

/var/lib/vz is just a mount point to /dev/mapper/pve-data (pve-data LV)

Well you could simply format your second array (RAID-5) to any file system and edit /etc/pve/storage.cfg to point local storage to another location

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!