Datacenter / Cluster question Ceph + Prox

nethfel

Dec 26, 2014
Hi all,
I've got one last decision to make - I had one plan and I'm wondering if I should shift now while I still have the opportunity.

My original plan was to have 2 clusters, 1x3 PVE Ceph cluster, 1x3 PVE VM cluster. After talking with Udo about my OSD's, I'm wondering if I should now make a single cluster with the original 6+1 extra that I can make from the decommissioned servers. This would allow me to add a single more Ceph storage node (which would give me most likely 12 OSDs for now) without having to come up with 2 additional systems to make sure I maintain quorum. Or should I keep the two clusters still completely separate? Any thoughts on which structure would be better?

Hi all,
I've got one last decision to make - I had one plan and I'm wondering if I should shift now while I still have the opportunity.

My original plan was to have 2 clusters, 1x3 PVE Ceph cluster, 1x3 PVE VM cluster. After talking with Udo about my OSD's, I'm wondering if I should now make a single cluster with the original 6+1 extra that I can make from the decommissioned servers. This would allow me to add a single more Ceph storage node (which would give me most likely 12 OSDs for now) without having to come up with 2 additional systems to make sure I maintain quorum. Or should I keep the two clusters still completely separate? Any thoughts on which structure would be better?
Hi,
if you want to run ceph on pve, it's makes IMHO no sense to split the clusters.
You are much more flexible with one cluster.

Udo

Ok Udo, thank you for the input on this. I think that covers the last area of my concern for now.

I do still plan to get more OSDs into the ceph portion ASAP, but for now I have a plan where I can use ceph for some vms and local storage for others until I can get more OSDs in place to increase my overall ceph throughput.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!