Software RAID

matthew

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2011
I was thinking of installing Proxmox on a 128GB SSD then after install mounting /vz/ on a software RAID 1 partition. Has anyone done anything like that?

This is no problem.
But when you want to mount at /var/lib/vz you have to stop all services (pveproxy, pvestatd, vz, vzeventd, pvedaemon).

if you reboot and change the fstab sure.
I do this things online :)

Alright, I created /backups which is just a 4TB single drive formatted ext4 and I created /vzmain which is 4 3TB drives in software raid 10 formatted with ext4. Added settings to fstab and everything seems to hang in there on reboot. Now I should be able to disable the default 'local' under 'storage' in proxmox and replace them with these drives/directories. Will that work? Any shortcomings here? I have the main Proxmox install on a 128GB flash so my boots should be pretty quick, I hope.

You can not disable the /var/lib/vz.

you can now make 2 new local storages with your /backup and /vzmain.
or link it in /var/lib/vz

When I click on storage - local there is an enable checkbox. If I just uncheck that wont proxmox just use the new vzmain(/vzmain) storage which I have "Disk Image, ISO Image, OpenVZ Template and OpenVZ container" all enabled on?

No this feature work not on the default local storage.

I see what you are saying now. I cannot uncheck enabled or disable all the content options on local. Sure would be nice if I could. Is there a way to have all new containers default to vzmain rather then local for storage?

So I am assuming a better way to do this.

In fstab I commented out

#/dev/pve/data /var/lib/vz ext3 defaults 0 1

Added

/dev/md0 /var/lib/vz ext4 defaults 0 0

Rebooted and now /var/lib/vz appears to be on > 5TB software raid 10 partition. This should all work fine not?

Yes this would be a way.

No this feature work not on the default local storage.

Will it work with 4.0 beta 2? I created a software raid and mounted it as /vz_storage. I then added it too 'storage' and selected container. I would like all LXC containers to run there.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!