Most Ideal Partition Scheme on Dedicated Hardware with Soft RAID 1&5

n3tninj4

Jan 29, 2015
Greetings fellow techies,

I'm renting some resource heavy hardware through OVH and am going to install Proxmox on top of Ubuntu but I wanted to know what the best partition scheme would be since I have three 120GB SSDs with various RAID options. I was thinking:
/ = 25GBs RAID 1
Swap = 2xRAM (no RAID)
/var = Remaining Space RAID 5

Is /var where Proxmox keeps all the VMs? Are there other directories utilized that could benefit from RAID 5? If not I would like to be able to use that folder instead. Also, is /home even necessary? This server is dedicated solely to Proxmox so I don't need to account for other solutions.

Kind regards,
JB

P.S. If you have a problem with RAID 5 and SSDs this isn't the post for you so please flame someone else. ;-)

UPDATE: Is this info for default storage location(s) accurate with the most recent version?:

• Backups /var/lib/vz/dump
  • ISOs /var/lib/vz/template/iso
  • Images /var/lib/vz/images
  • Templates /var/lib/vz/template/cache

Last edited:
Hi,
you can mount your Raid5 on /var/liv/vz wher all VM and Containers are stored.
and then all Vm and Containers are on the Raid5.
or this is the easier and quicker method.
create your Raid and add an new storage in the Gui and point it to the new mountpoint.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!