[SOLVED] best way to migrate CT disk to other storage?

m.ardito

Feb 17, 2010
Torino, Italy
Hi,

sorry to post newbie questions, but in CTs world I am...
VMs have live (or offline) storage migration.
What is the best way to move CTs disk content to another storage (online or offline)

backup/restore?

Thx, Marco

Last edited:
mmm... maybe I can't see that for CTs, only for VMs? I have 3.1 atm.

for VMs is VM => hardware => select disk => move disk.
for CTs?

Marco

Sorry, I didn't see CT;-)
I think changing storage requires manual intervention.

so the only option I have is
- stop the CT
- backup (on old storage)
- restore (selecting the new storage)
- start the CT (on new storage), check it's working
- remove CT orphan files on the old storage (only option from cli I guess?)

is there anything wrong on this or could it be done better/safer?

Thanks, Marco

Last edited:
yes, probably, but then it doesn''t make sense then!

in the pve gui the restore option is enabled for a selected CT: you can select the storage, but the CTID is preselecteda and cannot be changed.
but it cannot work, apparently, exactly as you said... ??
instead, if I try the restore from the backu storage selected, there yes, I can select both the storage and the CTID (a new, unused CTID is preselected but it can be changed...)

I'll try tomorrow, now I'm tired... ;) this is morning stuff :D

marco

Today I was about to delete the CT, to restore its backup as same CTID, when I noticed that near the "remove" button there is "unmount".

so, I realized this could have been made to overcome the "cant overwrite mounted container (500)" message I got previously...

after "unmounting" the CT, I was able to restore it from the backup, to the same previous CTID, but changing the storage, and without having to delete the CT ;)

it's a bit sad that nobody was able to suggest this, as many here are uing CTs I guess, but anyway, it worked! Good for others to know.

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!