Possibly got hacked: How to identify listening process

jelinpons

Jan 14, 2015
I have a standard vmbr0 setup with only containers that use venet devices.

One container with it's own IP address has a webserver where I detected that it answers requests with a javascript redirect and can act like a proxy to the webserver itself.

I thought and hoped only the container is infected and created a new one and changed IPs. But the problem is there. I then completely shutdown the container associated with that IP address.

But if I do web requests to the now offline container it still responds and returns a small HTML and javascript snippet from time to time. If not, it still sends 302 redirect headers.

So I guess it must be the host that is infected. Of course I cannot trust any command in that case (netstat, lsof; checksecurity, chkrootkit, rkhunter). They don't show anything listening on port 80. Of course there is the apache for proxmox GUI itself. But I guess it does this differently. The system is up-to-date apt-wise and the problem persists after rebooting.

Do you have any tips or recommendations how to further investigate? I would like to get to know more before installing everything from scratch and not knowing how they entered the system.

*** UPDATE

"They" replaced spiceproxy with a version of their own that acts as an open proxy. Firewall prohibits port 3128 but they managed to keep it open.

Last edited:
Did you figure out how you got compromised? I'm always interested in learning from others how to better protect my system.

I hope your back up and running again.

No. 2 Installations, two compromises within minutes. The only thing I know it is not Proxmox related as I also did another run with plain Debian 7. The problem is there are too much possibilities and to less time to figure things out, as usual.

That is interesting. Are you sure that the Firewall is really running?

iptables -L on the console lists all your rules?

Yes, when the setup was up and running, I had closed every port, verified further by nmap, and did only allow incoming 80 and outgoing 80 (egress filtering via apf-firewall). Proxmox ports had only been allowed for my ip. All is possible: Maybe a zero-day between floods against the server, Apache segfaulting during DDOS, GHOST, ... or more simple a misconfiguration of my VLAN setup, leaving unused IP addresses unprotected from the firewall (but also not used by network-interfaces).
Or they found the 2 seconds where the firewall flushes and updates the rules.
I also found changes to ip_forwarding or log_martians sysctl parameters (the first turned on, the latter turned off) from time to time, things i always harden at the beginning.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!