NFS over internet

samimetro

Feb 14, 2014
i currently have multiple proxmox servers, some running ve 3.1, some 3.2 and one of them running 3.3.
each one has some ISOs and openvz templates as well as kvm templates and backups. but eventually drives get full after a while.

what i wanted to do is have all ISOs, templates on a specific hard drive on one of my proxmox servers (ex: my proxmox ve 3.3 server). and be able to share all of this stuff to all of my other servers over the internet, because these servers are not on same network, not on same vlan, not on same subnet at all. as a matter of fact, some of the servers are in different places across the globe, although most of them are in 1 DC.

once i share these ISOs and templates with the rest of the proxmox servers, this way i can free-up disk space from each server, and have them all on a single server. i'm not worried about bandwidth, as all my servers have unmetered bandwidth, and all of the ISOs and most templates are not very big in size; so it shouldn't be a big deal.

summary"
1) mount NFS from server1 to all other servers.
2) if i'm running firewalls on my proxmox servers, which ports are required to be open on server1, and which ports are required to be open on the other servers?
3) if there is a more secure way of accomplishing what i need, other than mounting NFS over internet, please suggest it.
4) still on server1, i have another drive, which i will use strictly for backups, so whenever any vm backup or snapshots happen, i would like them to be automatically backed up to that drive. again from any of the servers, to server1.

your help is greatly appreciated

that would be fine with me, but i'm not really sure of the procedure to accomplish it successfully, including opening proper ports, etc...

With sshfs there may be some concurrency issues if you access same data from different places at same time. It's just didn't designed for that. But for read-only data it should be ok.

NFS is not a solution to concurrency. For reading ssh and nfs are equally fine. For concurrent writing none of them works, though nfs prevents data corruption by using exclusive locks but by no means provide concurrent write access.

i honestly don't need concurrency with the specific files, but i may need server2 and server3 to access the filesystem on server1 at the same time, but they won't access the same files at once.

i honestly don't need concurrency with the specific files, but i may need server2 and server3 to access the filesystem on server1 at the same time, but they won't access the same files at once.

I would not use NFS - it´s designed for LANs but not for WANs; sshfs would be a good choice (but also smb / cifs would work). In Proxmox it´s seen then simply as "Directory" storage. The topic with firewall will not be so complicate - access to port 22 (or any other, it´s configurable) to the server must be possible; if the server(s) is/are behind a NAT consider access via VPN (note: VPN is not the alternative to sshfs here, it is just the network concept to use).

I would not use NFS - it´s designed for LANs but not for WANs; sshfs would be a good choice (but also smb / cifs would work). In Proxmox it´s seen then simply as "Directory" storage. The topic with firewall will not be so complicate - access to port 22 (or any other, it´s configurable) to the server must be possible; if the server(s) is/are behind a NAT consider access via VPN (note: VPN is not the alternative to sshfs here, it is just the network concept to use).

Why not a cluster storage with another ip wan?

A nother project sds, compatible s3 : http://www.skylable.com/

bye.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!