Automatic VM snapshot ?

Florent

Apr 3, 2012
Hi everyone,

I use "snapshot" feature for my VMs, which is a very quick using RBD disks.

I would like to do automatic snapshots, so I went to Datacenter->Backup and created a task for my VM using "snapshot" mode.

But it does not seem to be the same "snapshot" mode as doing it manually on my VM, because it does an entire copy of the disk, on an NFS share.

Is there a way to do automatic "snapshots" like in "VM" -> "Snapshots" ?

Thank you :)

>> But it does not seem to be the same "snapshot" mode as doing it manually on my VM, because it does an entire copy of the disk, on an NFS share.
That option means "make snapshot of LV and then dump it to the files with compression" - advantage of this backup method is short down time (practically is time needed to take snapshot)

>> Is there a way to do automatic "snapshots" like in "VM" -> "Snapshots" ?
I think this can be done with crontab + cli command (you can see which command in task tray of Proxmox GUI)

But this snapshots have one big disadvantage - VM's data will be
smudged on physical block device - that will result in poor disk performance due to highest fragmentation of data.

>> But it does not seem to be the same "snapshot" mode as doing it manually on my VM, because it does an entire copy of the disk, on an NFS share.
That option means "make snapshot of LV and then dump it to the files with compression" - advantage of this backup method is short down time (practically is time needed to take snapshot)

Backup takes a long time for me... it copies the entire disk to another location (RBD to NFS) and last night the host crashed during this backup...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!