NFS Storage, what happens with OpenVZ VMs when it goes offline?

Alexander Hjelm

Dec 22, 2014
Lindesberg, Sweden
Hi, i have 40 OpenVZ VMs in a Proxmox cluster with 4 nodes and a NFS storage over Ethernet.
What happens with my VMs when the NFS storage goes offline?
It have happend 4-5 times now and everytime my webinterface shows no status of the VMs and i cannot SSH into them, but i can ping with icmp.

Is this damaging my VMs or is it like a "safe" failure system in proxmox that nothing can write or read until the storage gets back? not even from memory?
How bad is this for my VMs if it will happen 4-5 times per year?

Hello Alexander

Hi, i have 40 OpenVZ VMs in a Proxmox cluster with 4 nodes and a NFS storage over Ethernet.
What happens with my VMs when the NFS storage goes offline?
It have happend 4-5 times now and everytime my webinterface shows no status of the VMs and i cannot SSH into them, but i can ping with icmp.

Is this damaging my VMs or is it like a "safe" failure system in proxmox that nothing can write or read until the storage gets back? not even from memory?
How bad is this for my VMs if it will happen 4-5 times per year?

If a system looses access to it´s storage some things will not work. It does not count if it´s a physical HD, a network storage or whatever. What will you do e.g. if in your native system the all of a sudden the local drive is not accessible any more caused by a defect cable? You will repair the defect and restart the computer. Usually nothing wrong will have been done with the data on the disk. If it´s a network drive not even a reboot is necessary (but in order to have clear conditions I would do it in that case). Same for VMs and containers!

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!