From standalone node to cluster

yaboc

Renowned Member
Nov 13, 2012
Hi

I have a standalone node connected to FreeNAS via ISCSI running a couple KVMs.

I'd like to create a cluster and add another node to the mix. Can the KVMs be up and running while performing the cluter setup?

Thanks

yaboc

yes the node just becomes the first node in the cluster. then you can join others (is a multimaster cluster).
all shareable resources are shared (there is proxmox cluster filesystem that replicates /etc/pve on every cluster node, and that has conf files, dbs, etc.)

this means that if you have a "local" storage, that will be on other nodes too, but it will be "local", meaning a local folder, of course to each node.
instead, a nfs or iscsi share or else will be (if configured properly, see wiki) really shared betwee all cluster nodes.

Marco

Yes - good advice!

yes the node just becomes the first node in the cluster. then you can join others (is a multimaster cluster).
all shareable resources are shared (there is proxmox cluster filesystem that replicates /etc/pve on every cluster node, and that has conf files, dbs, etc.)

this means that if you have a "local" storage, that will be on other nodes too, but it will be "local", meaning a local folder, of course to each node.
instead, a nfs or iscsi share or else will be (if configured properly, see wiki) really shared betwee all cluster nodes.

Marco

thanks guys. i successfully created cluster with two nodes connected to iSCSI storage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!