LVM partition as a guest disk.

Oct 28, 2014
Hey Guys, I would like to know if its possible to set up a guest using directly a lvm partition. No files images like raw, qcow2 or so forth.
I need as much as possible I/O performance.

Best.

yes, you can.
Just create the apropriate pv,vg but not lv from cli.
Then go to webgui datastore -> storage -> add -> lvm

yes, you can.
Just create the apropriate pv,vg but not lv from cli.
Then go to webgui datastore -> storage -> add -> lvm

Hmmm, I suppose to set a direct access to a LVM Partition as a Guest disk. I don't want a storage for files, I must have a ide disk accessing directly the lvm partition, got it?

Hmmm, I suppose to set a direct access to a LVM Partition as a Guest disk. I don't want a storage for files, I must have a ide disk accessing directly the lvm partition, got it?

something like this?: ide0: vg0:vm-111-disk-2,cache=writethrough,size=120G

lvm:volume_group lvm:logical_volume (not .raw file)

As you were, I'm not clear on how you implemented acidrop's solution. Would you please explain how you got from post #5 to #6?

As you were, I'm not clear on how you implemented acidrop's solution. Would you please explain how you got from post #5 to #6?

Simply follow lvm guidelines to create a volume group:
1. Create a PV first from and underlying block storage for example /dev/sdb1
2. Create a Volume Group (VG) on this PV for example VG0
3. Now, go to proxmox webgui on Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> LVM and selected the previously create VG0
4. Create new VM and on storage section select this VG0, give it a size and finally proxmox will automatically create a LV for this VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!